Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Trouble with Time Zones

I am always happy to receive emails from the members of Real Toads, but the question of time zones presents a slight problem. As I live in South Africa, my time is calculated thus: GMT +2 (SAST - South Africa Standard Time/ EET - Eastern Europe Time).  Without daylight saving, I am 7 hours ahead of EST and 10 hours ahead of PST, in the United States.


             I am in the +2 column, two blocks up where the line intersects the East coast of Africa.


What this means is that I often receive emails in the middle of the night. It does not trouble me (as I'm usually but not always asleep) but it might cause you some frustration as you wait for a reply, which probably arrives when you are asleep.  The best time for those in the Western hemisphere to contact me is between 8AM and 3PM CST
For the sake of convenience, the time zone that Real Toads is set to is also CST.


I find this Time Zone Map to be very useful.

6 comments:

Ostensible Truth said...

I've never really noticed time as an issue on here and other sites, though I think being "0" tends to make us more in the middle here... I like the map!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Show off!!

Marian said...

i love thinking about you receiving my missives in a new day :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Yes, I get up for work as you are going to sleep the day before. Crazy isn't it?

Laurie Kolp said...

So far apart yet so connected.

Ella said...

Thanks Kerry for sharing this! It is crazy, but I know I use to live in Alaska and get those odd hour phone calls...