Friday, November 23, 2012

A Word with Laurie


Hi, toads and followers, Laurie here. In the spirit of giving thanks, I wanted to let all of you know how thankful I am for you and how grateful I am to be a part of the garden. I must admit, though, I'm still recovering from too much turkey. Perhaps some hopping will help get those creative juices flowing. Why don't you join me? Get out an old pillowcase and step into it. Next, hop around the room. Does this bring back any memories? Like sack races? Read on...



Clip-Art Pics courtesy of PicGifs.com


Now let's get going with why we're really gathered here today: the word. As I was perusing poems that were linked to the past month's Open Link Mondays here at the garden, Susan Chast's poem, Cornucopia, caught my attention. The beautiful picture, squash and flowers... what a sensuous delight. When I saw burlap, I thought how perfect that word would be to use today.


Burlap sacks hanging out to dry, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

burlap~ n. A strong, coarsely woven cloth made of fibers of jute, flax, or hemp and used to make bags, to reinforce linoleum, and in interior decoration. (American Heritage® Dictionary)

Burlap is also known as Hessian cloth.
It's not just a tough material for sack races, sandbags, storing potatoes, gardening, twine and rope; burlap can also be creatively made into curtains, lamp shades, pillow shams, book covers, wallpaper, table runners, wrapping paper, wreaths, sachet, lunch kits, hook rugs, and the list goes on.

Coffee beans, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

How to incorporate burlap into your poem:

1. Create texture within your offering.
2. Write a poem on a piece of burlap, or a picture of it. Here are some images you can use.
3. Use the word "burlap" in the piece.
4. Perhaps one of the pictures in this post will inspire you.

*

Don't be a couch potato... write an original poem, link it to Mr. Linky, visit others who have linked and leave comments on their blogs. That's how it works, folks. Now hop to it!

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

It is such a good idea to write a poem on a burlap texture, Laurie.

PS. I've been trouble-shooting. Please check your inbox in this regard.

LLM Calling said...

I'm soooo glad you told us what burlap is, I've never heard that name. Off to confuse others with a poem now

Laurie Kolp said...

If you want to know more about using texture in poems, check out my link above.

Kay L. Davies said...

This was fun, Laurie. Perhaps the texture of the word was only suggested, but it is definitely in response to a slur on my good name. LOL
K

Grandmother Mary said...

This one brought back memories!

Grace said...

I will be around to comment later as I am still in the office ~

A Cuban In London said...

What a great prompt. I love the sound of the word "burlap" and no, I didn't know the meaning. Another one for Scrabble. :-)

Greetings from London.

Hannah said...

LOVE the word, Laurie and the idea to write our poems atop this texture. Thank you!

Mary said...

I enjoyed this prompt, Laurie. I have visited those who linked so far. Fun to see what others have done with burlap.

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks for participating... it just goes to show you that we can write to any prompt! = )

Marian said...

Such a busy time but I hope to have something up later, Laurie. Cool prompt.

Fireblossom said...

Mine is not about sack races, but does have a sack in it.

Kateri said...

Way to brain dead to write a poem tonight, but did enjoy reading all fo your poems. Burlap is something that brings back strong memories from my childhood.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the prompt. It allowed me to dig into more than one creative avenue.

Anonymous said...

i just discovered this site... and i took the option of using the word in a poem. would love any feedback, thanks!

Susan said...

I could have written about the walls of college apartments and my attempt at interior design, but I bring you the same painting from a different angle, a rough and unfinished part of a much larger history. Coffee, anyone?