Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Kerry Says ~ If Only They Could Talk

Ever wonder what the mockingbird thought as it witness the unfolding events in Maycomb, Alabama?

photo credit: Vicki's Nature via photopin cc
(Text added)
How about Don Quixote's horse?

photo credit: TheGiantVermin via photopin cc
(Text added)
In Poetry for Cats: The Definitive Anthology of Distinguished Feline Verse, Henry N. Beard presents Hamlet's Cat's Soliloquy:

"To go outside, and there perchance to stay
Or to remain within: that is the question:
Whether 'tis better for a cat to suffer
The cuffs and buffets of inclement weather
That Nature rains on those who roam abroad,
Or take a nap upon a scrap of carpet,
And so by dozing melt the solid hours
That clog the clock's bright gears with sullen time
And stall the dinner bell. To sit, to stare
Outdoors, and by a stare to seem to state
A wish to venture forth without delay,
Then when the portal's opened up, to stand
As if transfixed by doubt. To prowl; to sleep;
To choose not knowing when we may once more
Our readmittance gain: aye, there's the hairball... (Continue reading HERE)

Our Challenge is to reimagine an iconic literary character or monologue as presented from the point of view of a close animal companion (or one that just happens to be passing by). Alternately, you may like to write a poem about yourself from your pet's perspective. Have fun with this idea - the only stipulation is that the narrative voice of the poem be non-human.


10 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Kerry, what an awesome idea!

brudberg said...

Love the idea.. and for once forgive me taking an animal from the world of Physics...

Magaly Guerrero said...

I like, like, like!

I shall be back in a few...

Jim said...

I liked your selection, Kerry. It reminds me of our 'Farrah' cat. She started out an inside cat but wouldn't be trained to stay off the window sheer curtains. So she very quickly became our friendly outside cat. Eventually she died in her sleep, in the flower bed.
..

Jim said...

Oh yes, I do know the Mocking Bird's song. It goes:
"Tra la la,
Tweedle dee dee dee
"

From:

When the sun in the morning peeps over the hill,
And kisses the roses 'round my window sill,
Then my heart fills with gladness when I hear the trill
Of the birds in the treetops on Mockin' Bird Hill.

Tra la la, tweedle dee dee dee
It gives me a thrill,
To wake up in the morning
To the mockin' bird's trill.
Tra la la tweedle dee dee dee
There's peace and good will;
You're welcome as the flowers
On Mockin' Bird Hill

(more -- http://freepages.music.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~edgmon/stmockinbird.htm)
..

Hannah said...

This one fell from the sky...literally, perfect timing...thank you, Kerry!

hedgewitch said...

A wonderful prompt, Kerry--I am trying to work something up.

Margaret said...

Squeezed this in - just got back from the Appalachian Mountains in North Carolina. I hope to live up there someday. We stayed in a little town called Blowing Rock which is right along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Anonymous said...

Kerry--great prompt and I loved your poem. I've been super busy and had to abort a few attempts, but ended up with this one--not so clever formally--I just love the villanelle, but I am glad to get something up. Thanks. k.

LB said...

Awesome prompt, Kerry. I've been writing more since I started following the toads.
Found some really good contributions here. Never been more inspired!