Saturday, July 30, 2016

Because It Is My Heart ~ Micro Poetry

From The Black Riders and Other Lines by Stephen Crane


Today is the day we put the "mini' back into the Sunday Mini-Challenge, and return to the option of form poetry. The object of this challenge is to write a poem in no more than 10 lines (but you may write in fewer than 10 lines all the way down to a single American sentence). You may choose your own form or stick to free verse, if preferred.

Today, our frame of reference is 'because it is my heart' quoted from Crane's poetic work entitled, The Black Riders and Other Lines, which consists of several parts, many of which are 10 lines or shorter. Follow the link given above for a full copy of the text.

I look forward to reading a number of short poems, from Saturday through to Monday. The link does not expire, so please feel free to write more than one poem, and a return to comment on poems linked later would be appreciated.


8 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Dear Kerry, thanks so much for introducing me to Stephen Crane. I think I've found a new love in The Black Riders and Other Lines. I can't hardly wait to read more of his work.

Happiest Saturday, everyone! ♥

Kerry O'Connor said...

It is quite a remarkable piece, isn't it?

I wanted to add that if writers wish to pursue a longer poem in the manner of Crane's, broken into short parts, I would love to read them.

Outlawyer said...

Great prompt, Kerry. K.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ha!
XLVII
"Think as I think," said a man,
"Or you are abominably wicked;
You are a toad."
And after I had thought of it,
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."

hedgewitch said...

Back in the paleolithic period of my blog, when I used to highlight poems by my favorite authors, this was one of my *most* favorite selections. (I think I used an Odilon Redon noir drawing with it.) Anyway, it is a masterpiece, and who could not write something to its piping after reading it? Thanks so much Kerry.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm finding it very inspiring; have just written my second, and there may be more.

Stacie Eirich said...

Had so much fun with this - thanks for the challenge! I may not get to reading and commenting on all for a while - but promise I will eventually, and look forward to it. :-) Stacie

Anonymous said...

Crane can be a bit dark even for me but I enjoyed getting a fuller flavour from the link and loved the challenge you posed